Gather round children, we have a special assignment this month. We want your stories, your reviews, your art about… SCHOOLS in speculative fiction, games, and art!
While the editorial staff would prefer content that aligns with the designated theme (see suggestions below), it is not a requirement (the theme is more of a guideline than a rule, don’tcha know).
Article Proposals are due April 2
and should be submitted via the form at http://magazine.ondermediagroup.com/article-proposal/.
Final drafts of all content are due April 27.
Below is a list of possible content for the various segments of the magazine… they are provided only to provide a conceptual framework for submission. Writers should feel free to propose their own content ideas.
Art (including COVER ART and CARTOONS*):
- Apprentices and masters
- Classrooms, teachers, libraries, playgrounds
- Cool school architecture
- Schools of the future
- Urban fantasy colleges
- Studying, teaching, etc.
*We accept single panel, multi-panel strips, and full-page paneled sequential art
- Gaming DNA – How has the concept of schools, universities, and education is incorporated in RPG, board, and/or video games, and what can designers do you enhance their creations through the incorporation of these themes into their games?
- RPGs and other games being used as education tools
- Resources for learning/studying game development
- Characters, Locations, or Mini-Scenarios for use in an RPG setting (any genre) pertaining to education, schools, or teaching/learning
- Writing DNA: What experiences and insights from your education have helped you most as a modern writer?
- Mosaic Format* – What spec-fic stories did you read in high school/university, and why do they stand out – a compilation article with a paragraph from each person
- Resources for learning/studying writing (including the best symposiums, retreats, and seminars)
- Which novels/films best utilize the concept of “school” as a story environment?
- Gail Carriger’s “Finishing School” Series
- “Lost Stars” by Claudia Gray (Star Wars)
- “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card
- Rick Riordan’s “Percy Jackson” Series
- “Name of the Wind” and/or “Wise Man’s Fear” by Patrick Rothfuss
- “A Wizard of Earthsea” by Ursula K. LeGuin
- Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar Series
- “The Iron Trial” by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare
- School Tycoon
- Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle – A Cooperative Deck-Building Game
- Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
- Skool Daze
- Coldfire Keep
These are just our suggestions… we want to hear from YOU!
Submit your proposal for an Onder Magzine article today!
Deadline for proposals is April 2
Deadline for final drafts is April 27
*Mosaic Format stories feature responses from multiple individuals to the same question